Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:20:07 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVR4.2MP source code has become available recently?

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:

> I have worked on the SVR4 codebase, and there isn't much
> to be learned there.   The Solaris stuff would be a little
> bit more interesting. :-).

	Solaris source is also available for interested, isn't it?

	On UW. Solaris is SVR4.0 heavily modified by Sun,
	with SMP added by them independently; UW is SVR4.2 with
	SMP added by USL, am I right?  So they might have
	some (in theory, at least) interesting differences with regard to
	SMP implementation?

	Then VXFS; binary compatibility stuff; drivers.

	SCO is dropping old SCO OpenServer aka SVR3,
	in favor of SVR4.2MP-based system, I think; for now it's UW.
	And they have some kind of "unified driver interface" spec for UW.
	How nice would it be -- to have an ability to use hardware
	vendor's own drivers for UW, compatible with that spec,
	just out of the box.  Aaghh, dreams, dreams... :(

> John

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin

nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE