Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:31:20 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   patching systems using pkg_add

Having used the binary patches from a couple of security advisories on a
4.3 release system I now find myself pondering what to do next.  The
issue is that I'm intending to cvsup and I'm not sure how to deal with
the patches.

I figure I shouldn't run pkg_delete after I upgrade since I'm paranoid
I'll delete something I need from the new setup and I'd rather not just
leave them sitting around for no reason.

That leaves 2 options in my mind, firstly I could run pkg_delete before
doing make world etc. or maybe I could just upgrade then manually delete
the entries from /var/db/pkg

I think I prefer the sound of the latter since it seems the least
intrusive and I feel it should reduce the chance or troubles.

So, how far off the mark am I?

Kevin