Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:35:59 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   No such device,    error message booting new kernel.

I recompiled the kernel removing a lot of the generic device definitions.
When I boot the new kernel I get the following 3 messages in the boot log
for every device that I removed from the generic kernel. The new kernel
boots ok except for these errors messages. I think these errors are causing
the SIO0-3 devices to also be flagged as in error causing my external modem
on com1 not to be found. The generic kernel finds my com1 modem just fine.
The sio device definitions are the same in both kernels. I had to turn on
the verbose flag during the boot to make these messages show up.

config di xxx
No such device xxx
Invalid command or syntax. Type '?' for help.

Where xxx is one of the devices I removed.

This must mean that there is some other configuration file containing these
Config di xxx  statements that the booter is reading. Could not find any
reference in the FBSD handbook about this.

What is the path/name of the file I must edit to remove these statements to
put it in sync with the devices in my new kernel?