Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:30:00 -0700
From:      "Brett Glass at POST-IW1"<Brett_Glass_at_POST-IW1@infoworld.com>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com, sgkruk@barrow.uwaterloo.ca
Cc:        Brett_Glass_at_POST-IW1@infoworld.com, agonzalez@starbase.globalpc.net, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digiboard PC/16e problem

New Text Item:  Re: Digiboard PC/16e problem

I hope that Comtrol DOES publish FreeBSD drivers and get them included in
FreeBSD 2.2-R.  Last I heard from them, they had a beta-quality driver for
their ISA cards only.  Management seemed doubtful that it was worth the
investment to develop other drivers or even complete development on the one
they have.

I tried to explain that their target market -- ISPs -- were largely running
on free UNIX, whereas the markets on which they expending their efforts (NT
and Netware) had lower volumes, fierce competition, and high promotional
costs.

Don't know if my explanations did any good. (Some companies are so blinded
by Microsoft that they're unable to recognize that a much bigger market
lies on other platforms.) But we can hope....

--Brett

----------

"Serge G. Kruk" writes:

>What is my best route?
>New (from where?) driver for Digiboard cards?
>New card?  If so, which one?

I personally like the Stallion cards (www.stallion.com), the driver is
written unofficially by a Stallion employee.  Engineering level support has
been good.  We've got at least two machines running 16 modems off
Stallions.

Comtrol called me the other day saying that they now had a BSD driver.
They were going to ship me a card to eval.  Their Rocketport gets
pretty good reviews in the trade-rags... (maybe their marketing dept
is better than their engineering ;-))

The Cyclades is pretty well supported too.  I've only got two 8-ports,
so I can't say about the 16's.

>Serge

eric.
--