Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 06:58:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Ryan T. Dean" <rtdean@cytherianage.net>
To:        Nikita Proskourine <nop1@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with make buildworld still...

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Nikita Proskourine wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Following the advice of several people here, I experimented with the
> source tree included on my CDs of FreeBSD. I have CDs for FreeBSD 4.0
> release, so I installed all the source packages and gave it a try. I
> thought that I better make sure that I can build that (they wouldn't
> include a non-buildable tree on a CD, would they?) before I cvsup, first
> to 4.0 stable, then to 4.1 stable.
>
> I had a number of disappointments:
> 1) At least 1 file so far I identified as corrupted right after install
> from CD (contrib/gdb/gdb/jv-exp.y). After the build failed, I
> successfully searched the log for the cause of the error and fetched the
> file from ftp.

	You should cvsup to 4.1-STABLE.  From 4.0-RELEASE, you will
download/ checkout 14.5 megs of new files and will download 75 megs or so
of patches, but, trust me, its work it.

> 2) I ran the build again. This time the build stopped with a much less
> informative error. Here is the relevant part of the log:
>
> ===> usr.bin/killall
> cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/fdwrite; make _EXTRADEPEND
> ===> sys/modules/ugen
> echo fdwrite: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
> ===> usr.bin/ktrace
> ===> usr.sbin/gifconfig
> @ -> /usr/src/sys
> machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
> /usr/src/usr.bin/ktrace/ktrace.c /usr/src/usr.bin/ktrace/subr.c
> touch opt_usb.h
> perl @/kern/makedevops.pl -h @/kern/bus_if.m
> perl @/kern/makedevops.pl -h @/kern/device_if.m
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a    -DINET6 -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/gifconfig/gifconfig.c
> perl @/kern/vnode_if.pl -h @/kern/vnode_if.src
> cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ktrace; make _EXTRADEPEND
> echo ktrace: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
> cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/gifconfig; make _EXTRADEPEND
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@
> -I@/../include -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ugen/../../dev/usb/ugen.c
> echo gifconfig: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
> ===> usr.bin/kzip
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
> /usr/src/usr.bin/kzip/kzip.c
> ===> usr.sbin/ifmcstat
> ===> sys/modules/uhid
> mkdep: compile failed
> *** Error code 1
> cd /usr/src/usr.bin/kzip; make _EXTRADEPEND
> 1 error
> *** Error code 2
> 1 error
> rm -f .depend

> Error code 2 continues to propagate at this point.

	Don't know what to tell you here, I guess try a cvsup, but it may
be related to the errors below (which I have more information on).

> 3) Could it be that there are bugs in FreeBSD 4.0 release that cause
> corruption of files in the filesystem on a dual-processor machine? I am
> getting many copies of the following message:
>
> ad2: WRITE command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done

	Not bugs with the release, I had the same problem on my dual pPro
200 when I first installed.  As it was, it was a bad device in the IDE
chain, which was sending ghost messages, and kept powering up and down
(IDE floppy drive).  I ended up rearraging all of my devices, and
disabling everything I didn't need (down to hard drive, sometimes CD-Rom
at the moment).

> 3) At this point I'm stuck, not knowing whether it's worth to cvsup and
> hope it fixes build errors or whether it will only make matters worse.

	Well, the cvsup for the latest bugfixes alone is worth it.  I
guess I don't know why you are making buildworld and installworld right
after installing without updating anything (what you said makes it sound
like you completed the install, then cd /usr/src and started building for
the hell of it).  If you cvsup, you WILL have to buildworld and
installworld.  Oh, before you cvsup to 4.1-STABLE, cd into the
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs directory and delete the two symlinks (softdeps.c and
ufs_softdeps.h, I believe).  Between 4.0-RELEASE and 4.1-STABLE they got
changed from symlinks to real files, its the one thing cvsup doesn't do on
its own, and you'll have to do it if you want the build to succeed.

	Cheers!

		-Ryan T. Dean