Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:22:59 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UP kernel on SMP machine?

Nick Sayer stated:
: I recently set up a machine to act as a remote bridge for a remote
: office. The machine has a couple of problems. I can workaround them, but
: they're annoying. It occurs to me that the cause may be that it is an
: SMP machine, by nature, but it only has 1 processor installed and the
: kernel does not have SMP stuff turned on.
:
: The two problems are:
:
: 1. When I reboot the machine, it never actually reboots. The screen
: clears after FreeBSD says it's going to reboot, but you never see the
: BIOS again.

Is this a Digital PC?  I see this with all of my Digital-branded
PCs (all uniprocessor though).  I acutally have to do a shutdown -h
or -p and power cycle it.   It is a royal PITA (I cannot remote
boot any of them).

: Does anyone think that setting up a non-SMP kernel on an SMP motherboard
: (but with only one processor installed) might have anything to do with
: this?

It should treat it like a UP machine (in theory).

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU