Date:      Thu, 5 May 2011 19:37:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does running ``# portupgrade -arRp '' prompt for options or updates everything without prompts?

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was running FreeBSD 8.1 and am in the process of updating it
> following advice in handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>
> ran
> # freebsd-update fetch
> # freebsd-update install
>
> # portupgrade -af
>
> # freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE upgrade
>
> then
>
> # freebsd-update install
>
> Tried to do this:
> # portupgrade -f ruby
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
> # portupgrade -f ruby18-bdb
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db /usr/ports/INDEX-*.db
> # portupgrade -af
>
> Did not work correctly[too many customizations] and Tried again

portupgrade is written in Ruby and uses ruby-bdb, so this may not work.
-f is of questionable value.  Why not just cd to the port directories,
and 'make clean build deinstall install'?

> # freebsd-update install
>
> and had nothing more to do :(
>
> I had many packages that need to be updated so I am running :
>
> # portupgrade -arRp

-a is equivalent to -arR.  And that's building packages, which is not
necessary unless you want to copy them to another machine.

> will this prompt me for customizations?

Options menus?  Yes, the ports will ask on their own.  If you use the -c
or -C options, portupgrade will do all of them at the start of the
process.