Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:38:13 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, dg@root.com
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 08:01:29PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >    Uh, I think it is reasonable to assume that disk drives have contiguous
> > block numbers (except for replacement blocks of course). Sorting by block
> > number is the most optimal way of sorting that we can do in FreeBSD.
>
> If you knew physical cylinder boundries, you could do gathering,
> as well.
>
> In SCSI II, it's possible to know this.  It's also possible on all
> ST506 and ESDI hardware, and, I think, on EIDE.

No such luck for EIDE, unless it's a really old, non-zoned drive such as a
Seagate ST157A or WDC 93044, or unless you have the manufaturer's data sheet
handy. Almost all EIDE drives completely hide their true geometries from the
computer, as far as I have seen. I'm looking at a copy of the ATA-2 final
draft here, and it says nothing about mentioning physical geometries (only
those those details are "vendor-specific"). :-(

--
Lee Cremeans -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet and WTnet)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did