Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:19:07 -0700
From:      almazs@wgn.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: problem doing "su" to root on rel. 2.2.7

Hi;

I just installed FreeBSD rel 2.2.7 and tried to su to root by first
editing /etc/group and adding/replaceng the word 'root' on the first
line with the name of the user to su to root.

i.e  wheel:*:0:admin     # admin is network administrator to be able
to                          # su to root

and a second time by changing the whole line to:

   wheel:*:0:root,admin

the problem persisted

------ I reinstalled rel. 2.2.7   --------

When I am loged-in as admin an typed su I get the following error
message after a wait of 5-8 secs:

Aug 15 05:54:58 myname /kernel: pid 208 (su), uid 0: exited on signal 11
segmentation fault
the pid number changes but everything else is the same
an does not let me su to root

What is this?

Thanks in advance

Daniel B