Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 01:13:28 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xterm(1) keyboard translation overrides

What does ``~'' mean when it prefixes a modifier key in xterm keyboard
translation overrides? I was trying to make tcsh(1) (the one in the
base system, not the port, if it makes any difference) recognize the
left Alt key as Meta. I found the answer in
/usr/src/contrib/tcsh/eight-bit.me as:

	XTerm*vt100.translations: #override \n\
	    Meta ~Ctrl<Key>b:  string(0x1b) string(b) \n\
            Meta ~Ctrl<Key>B:  string(0x1b) string(B) \n\
            Meta ~Ctrl<Key>d:  string(0x1b) string(d) \n\
	[snip]

The answer is not in the xterm manpage or the xterm FAQ but, looking
at the way it is used, I think it means "not", i.e. in the above
example Alt-b is only interpreted as Meta-b if the Ctrl key is not
also pressed (which is the behaviour I am getting). Is this correct?

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie