Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 09:47:04 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD, Intermittent Problems.

Carroll Kong wrote:

> your SMTP Server, change the recipient name."  Okay... I am a bit fuzzy
> on natd... I thought it forwarded everything all fine and dandy.  But I
> can RECEIVE mail, but I cannot SEND mail from the other computers.

What are you using as the SMTP server? Your gateway machine or the ISP?

> gateway / router / caching DNS machine...) but I am uncertain why it
> would need sendmail to forward the POP3 mail that eudora is sending
> out?

Eudora uses SMTP to send mail - it only uses POP3 to receive mail.

>         Second Problem.... one of the computers is trying to hook into
> "battle.net" which requires a "6112 UDP" port.  What I tried doing is,

I think battle.net makes incoming connections to your computer using an
IP address provided from your computer (I'm not completely sure about
this, www.wingate.net forums are likely to have more details) - natd
already knows about ftp/IRC which do this and adjust packets
accordingly, but I doubt if it knows about battle.net.

> I can think of a few potential problems.  One... sendmail.  Do I need
> it?

If all your email needs are served by using the ISP's mail server, no,
not really. If their mail server is unreliable/slow, you might prefer to
run your own.

Stuart