Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:18:55 -0600
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        Peter Johnson <locke@mcs.net>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/17965: vr (MII-bus version in 4.0 ONLY) driver lock-up problems

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 07:01:54PM -0500, Peter Johnson wrote:
> My test has been to download and then subsequently upload a 62 MB file
> using FTP from my FreeBSD server to my workstation, plugged into the same
> switch.  With the non-MII-bus drivers this transfer completes with no
> problem.  Even with the patch, the download locked up the link after about
> 40 meg had been transferred; it came back and finished after about 20 secs,
> and the "watchdog timeout" message appeared in the system log.

I'm running into similar problems with the dc driver under 4.0 (miibus is
in the kernel) and xl driver. The xl driver ended up locking the machine
and the dc driver gets TX underrun errors.

(tested with a 3c905C-TX and a LC82C115 PNIC II)

Both cards were tested using a 7GB tarball transferred via stock ftp
client. I've tried multiple cards thinking maybe the ones I tried
originally were bad, made no difference.

At first it tells me it's increasing the TX threshold then finally that
it's using store-and-forward method and getting abysmal preformance on
100Base-TX full-duplex switched network (also getting output errors listed
in netstat) .. I haven't tried again with the xl driver after it seized
the entire machine forcing hard reboot.

It should be noted that both these cards preform as they should on my
3.3-STABLE machines.

Thankfully, a generous soul has decided to take pity on me and we're
trying to work it out via private email, but I felt I should add my 2
cents as it's somewhat related.