Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 16:16:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Followup: signal 11 problem solved by yanking DDB!

Hi,
I posted awhile back that my 2.1-stable (supped 3/16/96) system would
periodicly not allow users to log in.  When a user tried, /etc/motd would
be displayed and the connection would then close.  The system log would
show that the user's shell had died with a signal 11.

When the system got into this state, I could still log in as root and poke
around;  everything that I could think of checking looked fine.  The only
thing I could do to recover from the situation was to reboot.

On a whim, I recompiled the kernel without DDB, which I'd added a few
weeks earlier (perhaps around the time these symptoms first appeared) and
gave it a try.  Without DDB, the problem has gone away!

I'm not too sure what conclusions can be drawn from this, I simply offer
this info as a datapoint.

FYI, my system uses quotas and NIS and has a ASUS P55TP4XE motherboard and
64 megs RAM.

I hope this info is of some use to someone...
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X