Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:44:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to write a new keymap?

F.Xavier Noria <fxn@isoco.com> wrote:
 > I've got an IBM AT's good old heavy keyboard with a layout I don't know:
 > Spanish left question mark is on Shift + 2, there are no curly braces,
 > double quotes are on Shift + ,... I suppose I would need to write my
 > own keymap for consoles and X but don't know how to do it in FreeBSD...
 > would you please give some advice?

For console (i.e. syscons):
Read the manpages kbdcontrol(8).  Then look in the directory
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps for what keymaps are available.
if none of them fits for your keyboard, copy the one which
matches most closely and modify it as needed.  The manpage
kbdmap(5) contains further instructions (NOTE: the section
is (5), not (1)!).

For X:
I would recommend to install xkeycaps from the ports.  This
is a small GUI tool that makes editing your keymap very easy.
It creates a standard xmodmap file that you can use with
xmodmap(1).

Regards
   Oliver