Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 95 10:21:29 GMT
From:      "gj%pcs.dec.com@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com" <garyj@rks32.pcs.dec.com>
To:        hackers%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: CDROM stuff

Some time ago there was discussion about xcdplayer and its bad habit of
nattering at you when you change a CD, vis:

>>    I recently purchased a Chinon CDS-525 from Rodney Grimes, and I've been
>>trying to get xcdplayer-2.2 (the one in the packages directory) going.  I was
>>wondering if anyone has problems with this.  It seems to play just fine and
>>all, but when I hit the eject button, it spews out
>>
>>open : Device not configured
>>
>>until I pop the cd back in again and the cdrom drive tells the program there's
>>one there... anyone know what I should do to fix this?  Thanks!
>>

>This is a genereral problem with xcdplayer.  Go make a patch for it and
>I'd be happy to commit it to the tree. :)
>

>>-matt
>>
>>--
>>Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
>>                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration
>>Work Related     -> mmead@ctr.vt.edu    |     mmead@goof.com <-     All Other
>>---- -------            WWW -> http://www.goof.com/~mmead           --- -----
>
>--
>Justin T. Gibbs

OK Justin, here's a patch which at least partially relieves the problem :)

*** internals.c Tue Dec 29 11:56:08 1992
--- internals.c.fix     Thu Apr 20 12:12:24 1995
***************
*** 605,611 ****
        }

        /* Reset timer */
!       stativid = XtAppAddTimeOut(appc, 1000, update_status, NULL);
  }

  /*
--- 605,615 ----
        }

        /* Reset timer */
!       /* give the user time to change the CD if one was ejected (60 sec.) */
!       if (cdi.state & CDROM_STATE_EJECTED) {
!               stativid = XtAppAddTimeOut(appc, 60000, update_status, NULL);
!       else
!               stativid = XtAppAddTimeOut(appc, 1000, update_status, NULL);
  }

  /*

Seems to me that 60 seconds should be long enough (works for me). One problem
with this patch is that xcdplayer doesn't notice that there's a new CD in the
drive until the timeout happens. But this is easy to get around, just click
on the play button.

Gary J.