Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:29:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Lawrence Sica wrote:
> > Glasses keep near-sighted people in the gene pool longer than
> > they would otherwise be.  Myopia is still an adverse condition.
>
> Well thing is this isn't always something you are born with you can develop
> it and not pass on the trait. [...] Now  this does not mean my son will
> have eye problems, actually he seems to have really good vision.

Environmental issues are not useful examples in this context,
whereas genetic ones are.  8-).

> > Of course.  Society defines morality.
>
> History is written by the winners.

That, too.

> It is always safer to be an ass when backed by the masses.  If you know you
> can get away with it\, well most will push that as far as they can.  Look at
> these KKK rallies.  Ppl in the USA hate em, despise em mostly, but they know
> the state protects them so they speak out.

``The difference between "the masses" and "them asses" is in when
  you hit the spacebar.''

> > Or if you can't win a conflict with all of society against you,
> > and are forced to cooperate.
>
> Well you could withdraw as well, go buy a cabin in the mountains, join a
> militia, etc etc.  US society gives you an out.

I pointed this out to him already.  He basically argues that the
people being annoyed, not the people doing the annoying, should be
the ones to withdraw from society, even if there are billions of
the former, and only one of the latter.

> >> "Desperate" perhaps. "Misunderstood" definately. "Naughty" I refrain
> >> from using, it has too many sexual contexts that are inappropriate. ;)
> >
> > Rodney King was a fleeing felon in voilation of parole.
>
> "Can't we all just get along".  Seriously, he may have been fleeing, but the
> beating he got was excessive.  They are supposed to not lose control ,the
> police I mean.

It was certainly excessive.  And the overzealous officers got what
they deserved.  But King did not "get what he deserved", and in fact,
charges were dropped, when they probably should not have been.

> >> Trolls really do communicate data.
> >
> > Noise is not data.
>
> It depends, there is a need in any social group for one to mock what is, to
> question.  Now do trolls mock for that purpose or do they mock just for the
> sake of it?

Which brings us back to the issue of communication of demands; it
does no good to stampede the cattle, if your intent is to get them
to go to a particular spot.  The result is statistically unlikely
to be the one you wanted when you started the stampede.

-- Terry