Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:19:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Grimes <jegjr@erols.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?(NO)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, John Grimes wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> I don't entirely agree with the statement above.  I would like to mention a
> point to ponder.  In the 13th paragraph of the announcement on the
> FreeBSD.org website, I quote the following, "BSDI will continue to
> distribute packaged versions of FreeBSD...."  Is this another way of saying
> that in the future that the distribution of FreeBSD may take on the Sun model
> for their "free" operating system software, which you pay $$$ for the media, and
> it is not freely downloadable from the net nor freely distributable?

This shows a lack of knowledg of the present set-up.

Walnut creek is not presently responsible for FreeBSD, the FreeBSD source
or FreeBSD development.
The merger of WC and BSDI can not therefore change any of these
things. These things have been overseen by teh core-group and FreeBSD inc.

In the  new picture this differentiation is even more marked.

BSDI will rely on FreeBSD being successful, but they will not be
controlling it.
this in my mind is a very brave move, and one I wouldn't make lightly.

The only thing WC is (was) responsible for is the agreement with FreeBSD
inc, (and the developers) that they are responsible for producing the CD
image and selling it. The cost of this to them is that they pay  for
Jordan's time to produce actual snapshots to sell.

Since WC didn't control any more than the server for the CVS tree, and
since we all have mirrors of that thanks to cvsup, if they decided to
make it unfree, then we as the FreeBSD development group would just
nominate a different central server and life would continue as before, ...
without them.

julian