Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:00:32 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        mayuresh@kathe.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [commercial] sendmail : single user scenario : setup : anyone interested?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:31:41 +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> hello, i have tried but failed to set up my personal mailing system
> under freebsd.
> i am currently on freebsd-12 amd64 and solicit aid from interested
> people in configuring my sendmail.
> i am comfortable using mailx and am planning to use fetchmail to get
> mail off my pop3 mail host.

If you're using your ISP (I assume) for taking care of your
mailbox, you don't actually need to deal with sendmail on
your side. From what I understand you want to do, this looks
like too much work at the wrong construction site. ;-)

For receiving mail, fetchmail is very easy to use - POP3.
Creating a matching .fetchmailrc entry is not a big deal,
it's typically something like

	poll pop.example.com proto POP3 user bob pass trustno1 fetchall flush ssl

See "man fetchmail" for the options you might need (or
want to leave out, depending on your requirements).

For sending mail, you can install a text mode MUA like pine
or alpine. You can then go ahead and configure your SMTP
access for your ISP, comparable to what you did for POP3.
Then you can send from within the MUA without involving
sendmail.

However, _if_ you want to use sendmail, it could be possible
that your ISP provides a mail relay which sendmail can use.
You should first verify that your ISP does actually offer
such a service, and if it requires you do be on a specific
subnet (commonly the ISP's adress range). If this is all
okay, you plan for the following:

1. local MUA (mailx, alpine, sylpheed, Thunderbird, whatever
   you want to use) hands message to local sendmail instance

2. sendmail connects to ISP's mail relay

3. sendmail sends messages over

4. ISP's mail relay will care for further delivery tasks

In order to add that functionality to sendmail, you need to
add the line

	define(`SMART_HOST', `mx.example.com')

to your host's .mc file, and then "make install".

You can find example code in /etc/mail, as well as further
instructions in /etc/mail/Makefile's comment header.

But as I said, it's probably far easier to choose a MUA that
fits your needs and requirements, and just configure SMTP for
that MUA. I suggest you have a look at alpine. If you don't
like its built-in editor (nano), you can use an external one.
Other text mode MUAs are for example mutt and sup.

Additional inspiration here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mail-agents.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mail.html

--