Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 1997 10:27:59 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

> Er, my example was horribly bad, as its contradicting my previous stand on
> having valid domains for receiving email :)  I guess for the mailing list
> situation, how would people feel about simply a bogus user?  I.e:
>
>       brandon-NIXTHIS@roguetrader.com
>
> The best solution (imho) would be to actually restrict the uunet gateways
> with a stipulation that they must mask all email addresses.

I don't like it.

Not being able to hit reply to a message like this makes it a royal pain
the moving parts.  Relatively simple SPAM filters in sendmail (including
the bad DNS bounce Jordan is now using, several bad guys lists, and my
own source code hack to blow off numeric addresses, which I WILL publish
one of these days), you can detect and purge most bad mail. Even with my
eight year old address in the NIC 'whois' database and numerous
references to it on the web and in Usenet, I don't get more than one or
two SPAM's a day, relative to the 5 - 10 spams I see at my soon to be
former employer with a much less publicized address, and that's without
any procmail filters.  (procmail, applied well, can take it down to
zero.)

Also, addresses can bounce within your domain if the gateway can't
resolve the bogus user.

Furthermore, if you mask addresses automatically, the pattern will be
predictable and therefore strippable.

You could locally mask with user+localinfo (note the plus sign) and use
that for forwarding/filtering with sendmail 8.8.x -- then if you fail to
provide an alias for the user+localinfo, it is delivered correctly to
the user (sans +localinfo).

-ahd-
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

 Beautiful loser, read it on the wall
 And realize, you just don't need it all. . . "         - Bob Seger