From:      Tomaz Borstnar <tomaz.borstnar@over.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and lqr - Warning: lqr_RecvEcho: Got packet size 54, expecting 12 !

Hello!

	Using FreeBSD4.0-STABLE's ppp as of today I get this error when turning on
lqr for my PPPoE session:

Jun 19 12:39:45 triglav ppp[116]: tun0: Warning: lqr_RecvEcho: Got packet
size 54, expecting 12 !
Jun 19 12:40:16 triglav ppp[116]: tun0: Warning: lqr_RecvEcho: Got packet
size 54, expecting 12 !

Seems like ppp doesn't like that and breaks the connection. According to docs:

"When LQR is enabled, ppp sends
              the QUALPROTO option (see ``set lqrperiod'' below) as part of the
              LCP request.  If the peer agrees, both sides will exchange LQR
              packets at the agreed frequency, allowing detailed link quality
              monitoring by enabling LQM logging.  If the peer doesn't agree,
              ppp will send ECHO LQR requests instead.  These packets pass no
              information of interest, but they MUST be replied to by the
peer."

ppp gets the replies, but doesn't like them and drops the session! Nortel
Shasta 5000 with firmware 1.5.10 on the other side of PPPoE link.

How much overhead does LQR have for provider? What kind of reports can I
get if they turn it on?

Thanks in advance.

Tomaz
----
Tomaz Borstnar <tomaz.borstnar@over.net>
"Love is the answer to the final question you ask" - Unknown