Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:56:39 +0200
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: esp tunnel without gif(4) [Was Re: vpn1/fw1 NG to ipsec/racoon troubles, help please ...]

>>>>> "Emss" == Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com> writes:
>>>>> "Crist" == Crist J Clark <crist.clark@attbi.com> writes:

Follow-up to myself and -security re-added.

 Crist> I've never figured out why people use gif(4) interfaces when ESP
 Crist> does the tunneling for you.

 Emss> Maybe because I've never succeeded establishing a esp tunnel
 Emss> beetween two lans without gif(4).

I've tried without gif tunnel (erroneous rc.conf modification) and it
works, maybe murphy's law had prevented this before ;)

There's one question still remaining :
- if there are more than one esp tunnel configured, how is traffic
  routed ?

Example :
- One esp tunnel from 192.168.0.1 to 10.93.0.1
- One esp tunnel from 192.168.0.1 to 10.44.0.1

With only one tunnel configured, netstat -rn on the security gateway
doesn't show any routes to the remote networks nor host.

With a second tunnel added, are there any additionnal configuration
steps or will the kernel do the routing automagically ?

Links or example setup if needed ?

Thanks in advance

Eric Masson

--
 Bref, j'en ai lu des conneries dans fufe, j'en ai même écrit, mais là,
 on flirte avec le ruban bleu.