Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:54:57 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Tabor Kelly <pdxmax@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd redirect_port only works from the outside

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 03:24:59PM -0700, Tabor Kelly wrote:
> Yes, I figured this out when I found this (from you): http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1133854+0+archive/2000/freebsd-questions/20000924.freebsd-questions
>
> Well, now that I know that this is expected (my old Linksys router did
> not have this issue), I think I will just live with it.
>
> Out of curiosity, what does it take to split my DNS?

It greatly depends on how you are running DNS right now. Do you run
your own DNS server? Of course, in the example you gave, you are using
IP addresses. If you actually are using IP addresses and not hostnames
to do stuff, this is no help. In split DNS, somehost.mydom.org will
map to 63.105.29.28 for the outside world and 192.168.0.10 (or
whatever) for your local net.

> Also, what does
> "ugly, ugly NAT games" consist of? I have yet to see a solution
> documented.

I've never tried to do it, but there seem to be three approaches,
(1) sneak the traffic you want to redirect on the internal interface
through the one existing natd(8) process, (2) run a second instance
of natd(8) for the interior interface, or (3) use some other, more
lightweight, method of doing the redirect than natd(8). If you can
find a piece of software or method that fist your needs, (3) is
probably best. After that, doing (2) and using natd(8) just to
do a couple of redirects is a bit of overkill and you're not using
natd(8) the way it was really meant to be used which makes it more
likely you will run into problems and have a harder time getting
help. Finally (1) is even farther from how natd(8) was meant to work
and could screw up stuff that is working OK now.