Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 16:35:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        cpet@sdf.org, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>> 1. Upgrading ports is not a "package management" operation.
>>

>> It is.  A port is compiled and a package created from it.  The old package
>> is deleted and the new package installed.
>
> How do I use pkg to upgrade all of my ports?  I think you said "use
> pkg for all package management operations"

I'm fairly sure I did not say that. :)

> but the handbook says use
> "pkg upgrade" for binary packages and portmaster for ports.

The difference is, essentially, where the packages are built.
'pkg upgrade' looks for newer binary packages in the repository,
portmaster or portupgrade will build them locally.

> Thank you -- perhaps I should just stop beating around the bush and
> directly ask: can someone give me a list of all the "package related"
> tools what what they do?  Ideally the list will include the tools that
> I should be using at the top and in a postscript the tools I should
> not be using because they are too old or for whatever other reason.  I
> find the handbook confusing... for example section 5.4 is titled "Use
> pkg for binary package management" but you seem to feel otherwise...

No.  In reality, even those of us who mostly use ports occasionally see
'pkg' commands.  For example, 'pkg info' to list what has been
installed.  There is no ports make target that does that.

The workflow really depends on whether you install from binary packages
or ports.  Once installed, they are the same thing.