Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:25:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com, marcel@scc.nl
Subject:   Re: World breakage in libc_r?

John Birrell wrote:
> Weak symbols don't work too well _between_ libraries. If libc is linked
> before libpthread, any unresolved references when libc is searched will
> use the weak symbols from there, regardless of the fact that a strong
> symbol exists in libpthread. If libc is linked after libpthread, then
> you can have libc internal references to things that should been resolved
> to things in libpthread, but end up using the weak symbols in libc
> because that is all there is left. 8-(
>
> Not a simple problem to solve. The current tools don't help at all. A
> second library pass to resolve weak symbols would have been better. It's
> too late for that now, though, since you can change the semantics on the
> shared loader.

It'd be interesting to know how Solaris does this.  I see they don't
supply a static libpthread, just the dynamic.  It seems they do use
a strong symbol in libpthread, and a weak one in libc:

vfr [80] $ nm /usr/lib/libc.so.1 | grep pthread_mutex_lock
[4394]  |    596188|      44|FUNC |WEAK |0    |12     |_pthread_mutex_lock
[2980]  |    596188|      44|FUNC |WEAK |0    |12     |pthread_mutex_lock
vfr [81] $ nm /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1 | grep pthread_mutex_lock
[333]   |     20704|       8|FUNC |GLOB |0    |8      |_pthread_mutex_lock
[107]   |     20704|       8|FUNC |WEAK |0    |8      |pthread_mutex_lock

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com