Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:47:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   qt and mico-latest

Hi,

The qt131/qt133/qt140 split is not really functional because of shared
library versioning.  With both libqt.so.1.33 and libqt.so.1.40
installed, ldconfig will not pick up libqt.so.1.33, and ld will always
use libqt.so.1.40.  This causes (for instance) the mico-latest port to
@pkgdep on qt-1.33 while linking against qt-1.40.  This is bad.

There are several courses of actions:

(1) The tcl/tk route.  Rename libqt.so.1.40 to libqt140.so.1.0 or
    something.  The only feasible solution if we have at least one
    port depend on each of the qt versions.

(2) Only use one of the qt's as dependencies and mark all the others
    with MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD.

(3) Delete all but one of the qt's.

I guess (3) is out of question as there should be a reason why you
asked me to split the ports in the first place.  Looing at
ports/INDEX, (2) doesn't seem to work either, unless all those ports
that depend on 1.40 actually can work with 1.33 (or something like
that).

Satoshi