Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:36:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, rvb@cs.cmu.edu, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, bf20761@binghamton.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TSS and context switch

> I distinctly remember there being several instructions on the VAX that
> were like this (perhaps the polynomial evaluation instructions.. it's
> been a while :-) ... you were better off open-coding them than using
> the single instruction :-)

Many VAX instructions, especially on lower end processors, like the
uVAX II, or instructions which were somewhat deperecated, were emulated
in software.

For these instructions, if you didn't really need "the full effect",
then the emulation tended to be slower.  There's also the issue of
whether the geometry of the problem was already suited to the
instruction, or if there was work going in and out (which was most
likely duplicated going in and out of the emulation, as well,
transforming it back to be suitable for discrete instructions).

One of the people I went to school with, Val Kartchner, did an
"infinite" precision math library using VAX assembly.  He could
tell you very accurately which instructions were emulated on which
VAXen.  All I can rememebr is the CRC32 instruction on the uVAX...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.