Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 08:00:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Tinka <aknit444@yahoo.com>
To:        matthew@starbreaker.net, "Tsalicoglou, Isaak" <tisaak@student.ethz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From Linux to FreeBSD [formerly "*NIX Selection"]

hi Matthew..

i understant your plight with Linux.. but one thing i
have learned in the last 3 years i have used Linux is
that, if u stick to the distributors ports as much as
possible [those that come on the distro CD i mean], u
won't have much of a problem, just as it's advisable
to use the FreeBSD ports rather than download the tar
ball.. sure, it's easy tp just go to the net and
download a tar ball, but u may run into one that
requires all sorts of dependencies, many of which
might not be contained in the distro base system, such
as GLIBC-2.2 .. i have seen several users on other
lists that have decided to load source programs that
need the library set, which is relatively new, and
quite efficient...

personally, i run a hybrid network, with FreeBSD and
Linux under the hood.. i will not try and compare the
two, as u already know which OS u would choose to do
what, but, i must say they both do it for me..

i run SuSE 7.2-Pro .. which, i should say, is really a
breeze... in reaction to some of the problems u
mentioned.. such as kernel configuration and
compilation.. my experience has shown me that, stick
to SuSE kernel, and u won't have a problem.. stick to
Slack's kernel, and u won't have a problem.. most of
these Linux distros take Linus' kernel and adapt it to
their system, in terms of adding functionality,
drivers, code and installation handling.. this happens
in both the source and RPM versions of the kernel....
these distros enable only the most necessary options,
which should allow for hassle free console and X
configuration.. with hardly any need to re-compile
it..

for instance, once i downloaded kernel 2.2.19 from
kernel.org, so i could compile a kernel with
transparent proxy enabled... after loading all my
configs i started the compilation.. everything went
well, until i started compiling my modules.. after 2
minutes into this, i got all sorts of errors, i
remember something like toshiba.c failing to compile,
and various others.. i was stuck!!! well, after
checking SuSE FTP server, i found kernel source code
for 2.2.19, which included all their additions and
modifications... making it a little bigger, but
bearable...

configuration was easy.. SuSE includes their .config
file for the already installed/RPM kernel.. the
simplest way to compile your kernel is copy the
running .config file to your /usr/src/linux directory,
and then run the 'make menuconfig' command.. this will
pick up the .config configuration, and all u have to
do is add your option.. e.g, SMP [albeit an SMP SuSE
kernel already exists.... :-)]... after that, u go
thru the compilation routine....

u don't even need to edit your LILO configuration..
just re-run /sbin/lilo and u are good to go.. after a
reboot.. the only difference u will notice with your
system is that your motd include the appended SMP to
your kernel version.. if u used another option.. u
won't even notice anything.. but u will acheive the
reason u re-compiled the kernel....

i know i may be blowing a little too much for SuSE
here, but YaST has gotten a whole lot better..
upgrading from an older version has never been
easier... hardware detection and installation eg sound
cards, ethernet cards, printers, scanners, USB
devices, modems and more, is easily possible with the
'yast2' tool....

my point is... once u have a distribution, FreeBSD,
Linux, OpenBSD, Tru64, u are better off trying to make
any major changes such as kernel configuration and the
like, if u use source or ports that have been designed
on and for that particular flavor of UNIX... one would
be mad trying to run a NetBSD port/source on FreeBSD,
or even an internet-based port/soruce when FreeBSD has
the port already... once u follow this principle, your
distributions will always be your babies...

always initially establish what support your system
has for a certain configuration or add on before you
go out trying to find one somewhere... most times, i
have seen many searching the web for all sorts of
progz like OpenSSL, when these ports already exist on
the user's distribution and CDs...

i hope u understand where i am coming from, and i am
glad that FreeBSD has done it for u.. coz it has for
me too...

good luck..

AKNIT