Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:02:26 -0500
From:      Igor Partola <ipartola@pisem.net>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Again about Dell Inspiron 8x00

John Baldwin wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 January 2005 01:30 pm, Igor Partola wrote:
>

>>To be exact it was 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 and 2.6.10 vanilla that worked.
>>
>>It seems to me that certain functions of the ACPI are better off left
>>alone as overriding them just causes trouble.
>>
>>For example: when there is no ACPI support in kernel closing the lid
>>switches the display off and Fn+F3 brings me to BIOS settings. Once ACPI
>>is loaded though these functions don't seem to work. So maybe they
>>shouldn't be overridden until it is known that the overriding code in
>>the kernel ACPI works well enough to handle it? Or maybe sysctl could be
>>used to switch between BIOS and kernel ACPI to be in charge of turning
>>off the display and such?
>>

>Unfortunately, ACPI does not provide such granularity.  It's pretty much an
>all or nothing switch.

Ahh well it was just a thought.

I'll try to dig through the linux implementation of S3 and compare it to
FreeBSD's some time this or next week and see what the difference is.

I know about devd and the lid flags but S3 is much more important for me
as of right now.

Respect,
Igor

P.S.: I don't think APM is supported by many (if any) Inspiron laptops.