Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:46:34 -0600
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD Images and Bootable CDs

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Colin Eric Johnson wrote,

<stuff deleted>

> > Question number two.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to make a CD image of the root partition on a FreeBSD
> > box such that it is a bootable CD so that if the disk were damaged,
> > corrupted or comprimised I could boot the machine with known safe media.
> > I've been looking at the tools like mkhybrid and mkisofs
>
> mkisofs should be fine. No need for Joliet extensions for a FreeBSD
> system disk.
>
> > to produce CD
> > images from directories, what I am not sure about is what to use for the
> > bootable image. What I would like is something with a bit more space then
> > a boot floppy. I'm thinking that with a bootable CD with a root file
> > system on it I could have enough tools to bring a machine on line.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> You can easily fit the root partition and the basic usr on a
> CD. Using one for a fixit or boot disk seems perfectly
> reasonable... to a point. You will not have a writable /tmp, but that
> is not a show stopper. However, I'm not at all sure how mounting other
> filesystems would work on a read-only directory on a CD. If you could
> not mount other filesystems, it would be pretty much useless. You
> could boot fine and run commands, but never be able to actually fix
> anything.

The mounting doesn't seem to be a problem, I can make that work. What I'm
interested in is a guide to make a boot image to place on the CD that uses
the kernel that I build for the machine and not the generic kernel.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
A complete breakfast with juice, toast and milk