Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:39:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.org>, <grog@FreeBSD.org>, <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Brad Knowles wrote:

>	I still don't understand why JFS has any interest over
>softupdates.  Indeed, the papers I've read seem to indicate that, at
>best, JFS may approach the kind of speed possible with softupdates,
>and they both allow you to re/boot quickly and with mount times that
>do not include lengthy fsck.

The major advantage people see to a journaling file system is that of
the lack of fsck on boot.  This is crucial to large filesystems.
Perhaps when Softupdates on FFS gets to the point where snapshots and
background fsck are fully implemented and well tested and maybe even
enabled by default then people will stop asking for a journaling file
system.  I don't know very much about JFS, but I do know that the design
of XFS offers some cool features like dynamic inode creation.  One would
also think the ability to possibly relink rm'd files by rolling back
journal transactions would be a potentially useful feature on a
filesystem being used on the average user's desk.  There are lots of
cool things you can do with a journal.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."