Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:31:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        the man <rmuir@gibralter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp redirects

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, the man wrote:

> I really dont like the idea of someone being able to send redirects
> etc to my gateway box.
> I believe linux has icmp redirects disabled by default if ip
> forwarding is enabled, and i also think it logs attempts to syslog.
> (I'm not sure about this, I don't deal with linux much).

I like the Linux policy -- Bellovin and Cheswick, in _Firewalls and
Internet Security_, say

	Redirect messages should only be obeyed by hosts, not
	routers, and only when the message comes from a router
	on a directly attached network.

I think their reasoning is that routers should only acquire routing
information by administrator-designated methods, i.e. static routes or
dynamic routing protocols.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."