Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 11:56:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Argh! errno spam!

> >There are a few perfectly good reasons to call a structure member errno,
> >but regardless of the good reasons, I fear for the code in the ports
> >collection.  8(
>
> I'd like the ports collection to be compiled routinely under -current.
> Even if it doesn't compile, the breakage list would be interesting.

You can either do this yourself, or request that a volunteer do it for
you.  Bento is equipped to build ports under -current, and you should
have no access problems.

> >I was bitten by this with the NetBSD-derived bootcode I'm working on,
> >which doesn't use libc and thus needs its own errno in order to be a
> >reasonable facsimile therof.  (Yes, I have a workaround.)
>
> errno shouldn't be defined for non-libc interfaces.  You probably got
> bitten by namespace pollution.  KERNEL must be defined to stop errno
> being defined in our errno.h.

Actually, the NetBSD code was written to think it was "like" the
kernel, so it includes <sys/errno.h>.  We define the errno macro there,
not in <errno.h>.   Defining KERNEL resolves the issue for this
application at least.