Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:22:20 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uninstalling ports COMPLETELY

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 at 12:09:34 -0800, Dennis Jun wrote:
[snip..]
> So again, I just wanna know, if I have removed all traces of that
> program being ever on my system by doing a "make deinstall" and
> erasing the "work" directory in that specfic port.

Yes, as long as nothing is missing from the port's PLIST.  If you get a
'unable to remove blah' message when removing the port, then either
a) something was modified (config file, whatever), or b) something was
installed that wasn't in the PLIST (this doesn't happen all that often,
but it does occasionally).  If that's the case, just remove the files
and directory it's telling you it can't remove.

FYI, you can clean the port's work directory by using
'make deinstall clean' instead of just 'make deinstall'.  If you'd like
to get rid of the source tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles as well, you
can use 'make deinstall distclean' which will remove the work directory
and the tarball.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -