Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2015 20:52:30 -0600
From:      Jake <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD jail running a Debian or Centos distro

> On Dec 24, 2015, at 6:49 PM, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net> wro=
te:
>=20
>> On Dec 25, 2015, at 8:41 AM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> Has anyone got a FreeBSD jail to run either a Centos or a Debian
>> distro of Linux?
>=20
>=20
> Because of how jails work, that is not possible.  Jails are like multiple u=
ser installations on a single kernel rooted with a facility like an =C3=BCbe=
r chroot, in general terms (more complicated than that of course).  It is no=
t like separate VMs running.

It is indeed possible to run the userland portion of a Linux-based distro, m=
ore-or-less unmodified, replacing the Linux kernel with FreeBSD's "linuxulat=
or" (Linux ABI translation), all inside of a jail, atop a FreeBSD native fil=
esystem. A great many things work (user-centric applications), a great many t=
hings break (system/network administrative tools).

Don't forget about possibly mounting linprocfs, linsysfs and fdescfs inside t=
he jail for maximum success. I'm not certain of the current security implica=
tions of linprocfs and linsysfs, so don't take my advice without doing furth=
er investigation considering your use case. Depending on your use case, it's=
 worth trying with and without the virtualized network stack options as well=
.=