Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2016 09:48:49 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ue0 stops on rpib when net booting/root via nfs

On Sun, 2016-03-27 at 08:00 +0300, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> Something is killing the ue0  after net booting the RPI-B,
> the driver just hangs sometime after going multiuser, and sometime
> later
> it will complain: server … not responding - since the root is nfs
> mounted.
> I can only enter the debugger, anything I can look for?
>

> danny

Is this something has been working for you for a long time and recently
started to fail?

I've always had intermittant trouble with armv6 and nfsroot.  Sometimes
the arm boards just hang even when they've been sitting idle at the
shell prompt for hours, and if you ^T it shows the state as [rpccon]
and it's stuck that way forever, only a reboot fixes it.  It doesn't
seem to happen on armv4 that I've ever noticed, just armv6 (but all
armv6 for me, not just rpi, and it's intermittant and seems to happen
more when the system is idle).

Since nobody else has ever complained about it, I've always assumed it
was some glitch in my config here, and I just never get around to
figuring out why it happens.  I did look at the traffic once using
tcpdump on another machine, and rpc packets were going out and no
replies were coming back.  I don't know enough about the protocols to
figure out anything from the packets I saw.

-- Ian