Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:40:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Boris Kotzev <boris.kotzev@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: OS X/FreeBSD shared zfs partition

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, John Hendy wrote:

> Wow... I really didn't expect that to work! Well, it 'kind of worked'.
> Here's what I got:
>
> I did 'zpool import' and got the usual 'ZFS is experimental in FreeBSD, ZFS
> filesystem version 6' and it said something like 'you can import pools by
> name' (sorry - i missed the exact message). Then I did 'zfs lilst' and tank
> was listed, but not tank/jwhendy.

That version "6" is the pool format. The actual filesystem on-disk
versions are different. In -current, the pool version is 13 and filesystem
version is 3, according to both "zpool upgrade" and "zfs upgrade". Sounds
like the zfs code in OS X is more recent than that in -stable.

> Then I did 'zfs mount tank/jwhendy' and got:
>
> 'Mismatched versions: Filesystem is version 2 on-disk format, which is
> incompatible with this software version 1! You can force  mounting with -f'
>
> I did 'zfs mount -f tank/jwhendy' and it said 'Cannot mount 'tank/jwhendy':
> Operation not supported', but zfs list shows:

Yeah I wouldn't advice doing that, no telling what will happen.

zfs list will show you filesystem status regardless of mount status, it's
just reading the pool data I imagine.