Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:07:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster

Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru> types:
> I wonder if this procedure can be a little bit more automatic. For example,
> the mergmaster checks if the file have been actually changed, and it was not
> (from the original file of the prev mergmaster) than it can pretty much
> install a new
> version of it, otherwiese - ask the user. The problem is to determine
> whether it was
> changed :)

I suggested one way of doing that to the author, but never got a reply
back. The idea was to add an option that does two things: 1) installs
new files r/o (but not merged files); 2) if files are installed r/o,
quietly install the new one.

The act of editing a file should leave it r/w, thus automatically
tagging new files.

And it wouldn't work for me :-(, so I haven't implemented it.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.