Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 01:56:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jodak@csc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c509 Problem

Hi John,

> Experienced a problem setting up the 3Com 3c509B ethernet card (ISA bus)
> under FreeBSD 3.2 (Walnut Creek CD-ROM). Card was set with IRQ = 10 and IO
> = 0x300. FreeBSD seemed to recognise the card correctly and added the ep0
> driver.  However, when ifconfig is executed (ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0) the system hangs completely and needs to be
> physically rebooted. The system itself is very straightforward (Pentium
> 233, IDE CDROM, Floppy, IDE HD) and is known to work. No drivers were
> modified or disabled during installation.

I'm not sure if this is still relevant but I notice in the LINT kernel
configuration file that comes with 3.2 there is the following comment:

# ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)

The only other insight I can provide is that I have a 3c509b which works
perfectly (although its a pci card and uses the xl0 driver).
--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237