Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:12:58 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: questions-digest V5 #314

What you fella's need is some serial hardware then. Head over to:
http://www.matrix-orbital.com. They make some really cool custom
LCD's that use either RS232 or I2C. They are a tad slow shipping,
but you can get almost any character LCD, and there is usually a
version with keypad inputs and digital outputs (for LED's, relays
etc.) Now, I hate spam as much as everyone else - but if you need
a serial display - these guys are the way to go. You might also
head over to http://www.seetron.com as well. Scott Edwards has some
nifty adapter boards if you really want to run your own module. It
connects to the data connector on the LCD. Saves a crapload of time
for us assembly on microcontroller guys...

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:51:11 +0800
>From: Shaun Dwyer <sldwyer@bigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: LCD driver port (Linux -> FreeBSD) needed for car-mp3 player

>Hi Mike,

>The software I am using in Linux (cajun - cajun.sourceforge.net)
>requires
>a serial display to work. What the linux driver does is emulate the
>serial display, and provides a /dev/lcd.

>As I am not a perl coder, I cannot modify Cajun to use the app you
>wrote,
>And as I am not a C coder, I cannot modify what you wrote to behave like
>the linux driver. To do this is to make a driver for FreeBSD that behaves
>exactly the way that the Linux driver does.

>Unless there is something already around that can take input in the way
>/dev/cuaaX
>does, and then pump the data into what you wrote, I think that the
>easiest way

>Shaun

>Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > Hi Patrick,
> >

> > I didn't really explain much about the LCD+Driver...
> > Basically its a parallel port display that uses the generic Hitachi
> > HD44780
> > chipset. What the driver for linux does is provide a /dev/lcd
> > that you can address the same as you would /dev/cuaaX for a serial
> > matrix orbital display.
> >
> > The reason I am using the parallel port LCD, is that it cost $80,
> > as opposed to $400+ for the matrix orbital serial display (I am in
> > Australia).
>
> Look at /usr/share/examples/ppi; you don't need (or want) a kernel driver
> for this sort of thing.  I wrote the ppilcd app to talk to exactly that
> LCD controller; the electronics involved should be the same as for the
> Linux interface.
>
> If you have any questions, let me know.  The code's a bit old, but the
> ppi interface hasn't changed in the last four years.
>
> --
> ... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
> rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
> to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
> people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
>            V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E

- --
Shaun Dwyer
sldwyer@bigpond.com