Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 08:40:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        web@merit.edu (William Bulley)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot easy query (FreeBSD)

In a previous message, William Bulley said:
> Is there any utility/tool in all of the FreeBSD vastness to allow
> the after-the-fact (post-installation) re-installation of the boot
> manager (F1 == DOS, F2 == FreeeBSD) "Boot Easy" utility?
>
> After I installed FreeBSD, I had to re-install Windows 95 and
> (thanks to Bill Gates) it overwrote the FreeBSD installation
> of the "Boot Easy" thingy.  So, I eventually ended up re-installing
> FreeBSD -- ugly, so I was hoping there was an easier way.
>
> BTW, I did check the FAQ and didn't see anything (plus I looked for
> files with *boot* in the name in the man pages: sections one and eight,
> but no joy...)   :-(

Sure, on the CD or ftp site, in the tools directory, you'll find, bootinst.exe.
You'll also find osbsbeta.exe. These are self-extracting archives of the
stuff you want. Obviously, you need to be in DOS or Windows to run these.
There has been talk that Win95 will complain when you try to install these,
so you might need a DOS boot disk.

I use osbsbeta, and like it much better than booteasy.

Paul.

--