Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 2011 21:29:50 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Preferred place for MD code for new libraries?

On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Xin Li wrote:
> It seems that we have two different style of arranging files.  One is
> the libc way, where MD code are put directly under src/lib/libc,
> another is libthr way, where MD code are put under =
src/lib/libthr/arch,
> which is the preferred for new libraries?  Do we want to convert from
> one to another by the way?

New code generally has been adding arch/ where this sort of thing is =
necessary.  Old code retains the old layout.  There's been some heated =
debates about whether or not it makes sense to move things en mass.  =
With subversion, many of the old arguments are not valid (since they =
centered around cvs repo copy suckage).  However, in addition to the =
technical issue, there was the 'social' issue that some loud and =
outspoken people hated it, while more, less forceful, folks liked it.  =
Thankfully many of the loudest yellers have mellowed with the decade or =
so that's passed since the issue was last openly litigated.

Warner