Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 18:46:45 -0700
From:      Ron Echeverri <rone@ennui.ops.best.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot.flp cannot find Etherlink III PCI card

Towards the end of booting, i see a
pci0:11:  vendor=0x10b7, device=0x5900, class=network (ethernet) [no driver assigned]

It later says that the VGA card is at pci0:12, irq 11, which leads me to
believe that the message above indeed refers to the PCI ethernet card that
Win95 identifies as "3Com Etherlink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet Adaptor"
and locates at IRQ 10, at 0x300.

If i look in LINT, it says

# The `vx' device provides support for the 3Com 3C590 and 3C595
# early support
controller      pci0
device          vx0

However, when i scroll back, i see no vx0 tested by the boot.flp kernel.
I was toying with the idea of building a custom kernel that included vx0
and replacing boot.flp's kernel with the new one, but i decided that before
doing anything "cleverly stupid", i'd ask here first.

please reply directly to me, thanks a bunch
rone