Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:52:05 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone going to Comdex next week?

At 03:04 AM 11/10/2001, Josef Grosch wrote:

>Might be fun some other year if someone else was footing the tab, the price
>of hotel rooms and everything else doubles for Comdex,

Though it's nowhere as high as it was in the show's heyday. COMDEX
peaked about 4-5 years ago and has been shrinking, making it more
manageable. There are enough empty rooms that one can get a good
deal.

>but this year would
>be no fun. The desperation is going to ubiquitous this year.

It would have been even without the 9-11 disaster, but now that
the show is searching everyone who enters and is not allowing
bags onto the show floor, it will be quite inconvenient. Laptop
bags are included in the ban, though not laptops themselves.
(They were thinking of bananing laptops, but would have
faced a mass rebellion of attendees AND exibitors if they'd
gone through with it.)

Interestingly, this just happens to be the year when
Microsoft is promoting tablet PCs (which are much easier
to carry without a case than laptops -- unless the laptop
happens to be a Panasonic Toughbook, which has a handle.)
Given that Microsoft is COMDEX's biggest tenant, I wonder
if there is a connection here.

I am not sure why the COMDEX organizers seem to believe that
someone might bomb the convention.... It's unlikely that
the terrorists would know or care what COMDEX is.

And, of course, if a determined terrorist really did want
to bomb COMDEX, he could easily lob a bomb at the Convention
Center from the OUTSIDE and do plenty of damage.

>Even microsoft
>supplied hookers and whiskey will not brighten the mood. Too much of a
>downer this year.

I haven't heard of Microsoft providing hookers at COMDEX, but
they did one year offer to marry people at their expense.
Dr. Ruth Westheimer, who was promoting her book "Sex for Dummies,"
was at the event.

>If I want to get that depressed and not spend the money
>I'll sit at home and listen to the Joy Division.

I'm going to be harrowing COMDEX hell this year (as I have every
year since 1985).... Wish me luck.

--Brett