Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:21:04 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Gerard Meijer <gmeijer@palmweb.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: server crash "panic: spin lock held too long"

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 09:06:17AM +0100, Gerard Meijer wrote:
> Hi I have a P4 2.6Mhz running on FreeBSD 5.3.
>=20
> Every few days the server crashes. When it crashes it says:
>=20
> spin lock sleepq chain held by 0xc1eb7640 for > 5 seconds
> panic: spin lock held too long
> Uptime: 2d3h56m36s
>=20
> Anybody any idea how I can fix this?

See the chapter on kernel debugging in the developers' handbook to
learn how to obtain the necessary information for a developer to begin
investigating this.

Also make sure you're running with all of the 5.3 errata patches, and
consider updating to 5.4-PRERELEASE to see if it's fixed already.

Kris

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--