Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:14:36 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New installation notes

On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> There is a very big difference between a Quantum Maverick 540 (3600 RPM,
> 14mS, 128k cache) and an Empire 1080 (5400RPM, 9.5mS, 512k cache).  The
> two sets of numbers your reported above are very close to the maximum
> the drives can do.

    I only looked up the drive specs this morning, after having
thought Quantum made only 5400 and 7200 drives.  That was pretty much
the only explanation I could think of (RPM).  But I were to do
something like two 'dd if=blah of=/dev/null bs=65536' on files from
each drive simultaneously, I should still be able to hit close to the
maximum throughput, no?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org