Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:12:18 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Richard B Mahoney <rbm49@it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Cc:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>, Subscribers to FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: File Managers?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:53:30AM +1200, Richard B Mahoney wrote:
> Dear E.J.,
>
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 12:55:07AM -0700, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
>
> > I installed that eazel thing called nautilus, took
> > forever and it doesnt' work, it gives and GConf error.
> > Can anybody recommend a good file manager to use
> > before I decide to go for another one that will not
> > work.  Is endeavour any good?
>
> When all is said and done, I prefer to use emacs in `dired'
> mode.
>
> If you would rather a GUI then you could try `ROX.' Cf.:
>
>  /usr/ports/x11-fm/rox-filer/files/rox
>
> It's attractive and almost as fast as `blackbbox.' 8-)

Nothing beats a good old xterm with tcsh... fast, friendly, powerful. I
find GUI file managers to be clunky, and I hate clicking around with a
mouse to get things done. The best part is, if X goes down, you still
have access to your file manager. Obviously there are times when
clicking is beneficial, e.g., prepending a number to filenames in a way
that is difficult to automate with a script (for instance, adding track
numbers to mp3s is hard to automate, because there is no logical order
to the track names). For tasks like this, I use GMC, simply because it's
the only UNIX GUI file manager I've ever used. You have to have the
GNOME libraries around, but come on, don't we all have them anyway?

Of course, I am not blind to the fact that GMC is hated by many, and it
is going to be replaced with Nautilus 1.0 sometime in the future (now?).
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx