Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:42:51 -0500
From:      John Lind <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Important solution missing in "staircase effect" of printers section of handbook

The most general solution for the "staircase effect" is not mentioned
in the handbook, which I consider to be a notable omission.  If
a parallel printer cannot be convinced to do the appropriate thing
on getting a "bare" LF, the following script works quite well as
an input filter:
#!/bin/sh
exec sed 's/$/^M/'
The catch is that the ^M needs to be a literal CR, which requires
a little explanation to enter with vi.

If someone would be so kind as to e-mail or point me to the SGML for
this section, I'll be happy to write up creating this script as
/usr/local/libexec/if-addcr, including at least a brief description
of using ^V to enter the ^M using vi, and submit diffs.

Ah, while I have your attention, WRT "Administrating printers,"
while "adminitrating" and "administering" are synonymous,
"administering" is more common and preferred, at least in US
English, for whatever that may be worth.
--

		John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417