Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:41:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New mpd with netgraph and PPTP

A new version of 'mpd', a multi-link PPP daemon, is available as
a beta release from Whistle Communications under the Whistle
license (BSD style).

  * This new version is completely netgraph(4) based, which means that
    all of the negotiation protocols (IPCP, LCP, etc) are handled in
    user-land, while all data transmission, compression, encryption, etc.
    is handled strictly in the kernel.

    This approach combines the configuration flexibility of a user-mode
    PPP daemon with the speed of a kernel-only PPP daemon, not to mention
    the wide device type and protocol support of netgraph.

  * This version also includes support for the Point-to-Point Tunneling
    Protocol (PPTP), in both client "dial-in" mode and LAN-LAN VPN,
    and is compatible with Microsoft's Dial-Up Networking VPN adapter.

To get the new mpd:

  1. Update your -stable or -current system from CVS (ie, today's!)
     and make world (or at least build and install a new kernel,
     kernel includes, netgraph modules, and libnetgraph).

  2. Run pkg_delete on any existing mpd port on your machine

  3. Blow away /usr/ports/net/mpd, and replace it with this:

      ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/mpd/port.tgz

  4. Build and install the new port.

Any bug reports, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone does any speed comparisions
between this version of mpd and other FreeBSD PPP implementations.

Cheers,
-Archie

PS: We also have an MPPE (Microsoft Point-to-Point encryption)
    implementation (as a netgraph module).  This allows Microsoft
    clients' PPTP connections to be encrypted, though the security
    of MPPE is not very strong.  However, it includes RC4, which
    is patented, so you must get your own implementation of RC4
    (legally!) and compile the node yourself.  Let me know by email
    if you're interested in trying this out too.

PPS: Does not understand PPPoE yet.. use 'ppp' for that.