Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:39:53 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Puzzled By CD-Drive

Hi - I've just installed FreeBSD 3.4 on an Intel box with one IDE
HDD and one IDE CD-ROM. I've qot a problem (I think) with the CD-
ROM and wondered if anyone could help me. The drive in question
used to be plugged into a Soundblaster board (into a port labelled
IDE on that board) and is labelled GCD-542B). I knew
"soundblaster" cd-roms could be difficult but I tried plugging it into
the secondary IDE port on the motherboard and everything seemed
fine.

I succesfully created the install by making use of this CD drive and
I haven't changed any settings since (although I have booted the
machine into windows via Partition Magic - FWIW).

Because the CD drive had worked so well during install I assumed
it was working however when I went to try to mount the drive it said
"device not configured".

I noticed during the boot that the message

atapi1.0: unknown phase

appears several times in a row. Is this normal ?

Also

matdc0 not found

which sounds pretty bad but as I say during the install the CD-
ROM was working quite happily.

Is it possible that the drive could have acted during the install but
that it is not now accessible to the system ?

thanks

Richard Shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46