Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:59:53 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lo=EFc?= BLOT <loic.blot@unix-experience.fr>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp: change default to mdmfs and/or tmpfs?

--=-S1znKLqXGdPP+SXnlk4B

Hello Dmitry,
I agree with you. /tmp is a temporary filesystem. On machines (both
servers and clients), i think /tmp must be like Linux, cleared at reboot
because it's a temporary FS.
The Linux point i don't agree is size of /tmp (on Linux: ram-memory/2).
This formula is quite good for system with lower than 2Gb of RAM but i
think 2Go is sufficient to system with more RAM (we could control this a
install of in the fstab after ?).
--=20
Best regards,
Lo=C3=AFc BLOT,=20
UNIX systems, security and network expert
http://www.unix-experience.fr

Le dimanche 09 juin 2013 =C3=A0 15:45 +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky a =C3=A9crit=
 :

> Dear colleagues,
>=20
> what do you think about stop using precious disk or even SSD resources fo=
r=20
> /tmp?
>=20
> For last several (well, maybe over 10?) years I constantly use md (swap-b=
acked)=20
> for /tmp, usually 128M in size, which is enough for most of our server ne=
eds. =20
> Some require more, but none more than 512M.  Regarding the options, we us=
> tmpmfs_flags=3D"-S -n -o async -b 4096 -f 512"
>=20
> Given more and more fixes/improvements committed to tmpfs, switching /tmp=
 to it=20
> would be even better idea.
>=20
> You thoughts?  Thank you!